April 24, 2018
Data Scientist Is The Best Job In America According Glassdoor
- Data Scientist has been named the best job in America for three years running, with a median base salary of $110,000 and 4,524 job openings.
- DevOps Engineer is the second-best job in 2018, paying a median base salary of $105,000 and 3,369 job openings.
- There are 29,187 Software Engineering jobs available today, making this job the most popular regarding Glassdoor postings according to the study.
These and many other fascinating insights are from Glassdoor's 50 Best Jobs In America For 2018. The Glassdoor Report is viewable online here. Glassdoor's annual report highlights the 50 best jobs based on each job's overall Glassdoor Job Score.The Glassdoor Job Score is determined by weighing three key factors equally: earning potential based on median annual base salary, job satisfaction rating, and the number of job openings. Glassdoor's 2018 report lists jobs that excel across all three dimensions of their Job Score metric. For an excellent overview of the study by Karsten Strauss of Forbes, please see his post, The Best Jobs To Apply For In 2018.
LinkedIn's 2017 U.S. Emerging Jobs Report found that there are 9.8 times more Machine Learning Engineers working today than five years ago with 1,829 open positions listed on their site as of last month. Data science and machine learning are generating more jobs than candidates right now, making these two areas the fastest growing tech employment areas today.
Key takeaways from the study include the following:
- Six analytics and data science jobs are included in Glassdoor's 50 best jobs In America for 2018. These include Data Scientist, Analytics Manager, Database Administrator, Data Engineer, Data Analyst and Business Intelligence Developer. The complete list of the top 50 jobs is provided below with the analytics and data science jobs highlighted along with software engineering, which has a record 29,817 open jobs today:
- Median base salary of the 50 best jobs in America is $91,000 with the average salary of the six analytics and data science jobs being $94,167.
- Across all six analytics and data science jobs there are 16,702 openings as of today according to Glassdoor.
- Tech jobs make up 20 of Glassdoor's 50 Best Jobs in America for 2018, up from 14 jobs in 2017.
This article originally appeared in A Passion for Research.